Thursday, December 20, 2018

Road so far...... (MAAT [ Member of Association of Accounting Technicians of Sri Lanka ])







AAT SL or Association of Accounting Technicians of Sri Lanka can be identified as follows,

AATSL was established in Dec. 1987 on the model of the AAT (UK).

AATSL is a non-profit organization. 

AAT (UK) had been formed in 1980 by the merger of two earlier existing bodies in U.K., namely Association for Accounting Technicians of Finance & Accounting (ATFA) and Institute of Accounting Staff (IAS).

Subsequently, AAT Ireland (called Institute of Accounting Technicians Ireland) was formed in April 1983.

Afterward, AATs have been established in Pakistan (now called Institute of Public Service Accountants-Pakistan), in Malaysia (now called Association of Accounting Administrators-Malaysia), in Singapore, and in New Zealand (called College of Accounting Technicians-New Zealand ).

The master plan for Accountancy Education in Sri Lanka prepared by the ADB Inception Misson in 1986, emphasized the need for the Technician Level Accounting Personnel. 

The Mission Report forecast the Island’s requirement of Accounting Technicians at 12,000 by the year 2000.

AATSL since 1987 has been able to produce 15,473 Passed Finalists up to Dec. 2009. Still, there is a great potential for Accounting Technicians which has increased immensely with the expanding economy, and now with the new global village concept.

Accounting Technicians are Middle-Level Professional Accountants immediately after obtaining the Associate Membership (MAAT). However, by gaining experience in the field of Accountancy, they can reach to Senior Technician Level (SAT) and Fellow Technician Level (FMAAT), which are considered as well-groomed Professional Accountants. One can add more value and recognition to this qualification by gaining qualifications in other Professional Accountancy bodies.

I am Dimantha Polwatte. 

I am sharing my personal experiences in achieving academic and professional milestones in my life in this blog.


The above link shares the following titles of my objective attainment.

This title will discuss me being a member of the  Association of Accounting Technicians of Sri Lanka.

The year 2017 have a significant amount of qualification achievements in my academic life as accounting, finance, and a management student. 

I have achieved many of my basic level qualifications but it is questionable the relevant achievements may boost my career performance due to the inherent factors like my age, the amount of knowledge and practical implementation of my skills because they may vary with reference to the current Sri Lankan job market and industry competition.

I started studying in the commerce stream for my General Certificate of Education (G.C.E.) Advanced Level (A/L) exams in 2008 in Royal College, Colombo.

In the commerce stream, I had to study for 3 subjects mainly Business Studies, Economics, and Accounting.

And also 3 other additional subjects. [Common General Test, General Information Technology (GIT) and General English]

Since my father is an experienced accountant in the Sri Lankan private sector and public sector he suggested me and my elder brother Avantha Polwatte to study to be a passed finalist in the Association of Accounting Technicians - Sri Lanka (AATSL) and we agreed during the same period of doing G.C.E. A/L.

And many students who are parallel to my Advanced Level (A/L) 2010 batch who studied at school also did AATSL examinations due it's linked to the syllabus in G.C.E. A/L commerce stream.

I joined Gampaha JMC (Jayasekara Management Center) for additional classes in October 2008 and was able to sit for AATSL foundation in March 2009 I was able to get it through the foundation level.
(Syllabuses have changed now)

Subjects of the foundation level include,

(01) Basic Financial Accounting
(02) Business Mathematics and Statistics
(03) Economics
(04) Commerce

And in August 2009 I was able to complete AAT(SL) Intermediate level. (Syllabuses have changed now)

Subjects of the intermediate level include,

(01) Accounting and principles of auditing
(02) MIS (Management Information Systems) and IT (Information Technology) applications
(03) Business Law and Management
(04) Business Communication - I

After completing the AATSL foundation and intermediary level many students tend not to complete the qualification completely because they can focus more on G.C.E. A/L exams.

Unfortunately for me my father thought otherwise and wanted me to attempt for the final level as well in the same year. (2009) I attempted all the 5 subjects using self-studying techniques and also with the help of a personal tutor to help me with the subjects.

I was able to get through Business Communication - II (English) in December 2009 but failed in all the other subjects.

Then I fully focused on G.C.E. A/L which was meant to be examined in August 2010. After that examination, I again attempted the final level in December 2010 where I was able to complete the "Management Accounting" and "Advanced Level Accounting" subject.

And then I took the leftover three (03) subjects seriously by attending IAS (Institute of Accounting Studies) at Colombo, Wellawatte.

I completed the final level passing all the subjects in July 2011.

Subjects of the final level include,

(01) Business Communication - II (English)
(02) Management Accounting and Business Finance
(03) Taxation
(04) Advanced Financial Accounting
(05) Auditing

This was when I have received my G.C.E. A/L results and was attending the Royal Institute, Colombo to study law.

I was marginally being disqualified to attend a Sri Lankan University in the Western Province and I personally never wanted to leave home while doing my higher studies. Therefore I did not apply for long distance universities.

This period was the inception of my depression era where many of my personal and my academic failures started to begin. My depression came in 2011 and 2012 based on the dislike to the field of law as a professional field to study to start a career.

But prior to my depression, I managed to complete AATSL as a passed finalist.

My struggles, failures, and tactics to overcome these in the depression era will be discussed in a separate article.

I was able to attend the convocation for the 'passed finalists' on the 15th of November 2011.



After that, I was under a lot of depression personally due to many factors that I will not discuss in this article.

In 2013 I again shifted my career to my core interest in business management, accounting, and finance. I started doing an external private business management degree from University College of Dublin, Ireland which was affiliated to National Institute of Business Management (NIBM) and National School of Business Management (NSBM) of Sri Lanka.

AAT passed finalist qualification helped me to garner the exemptions for CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) which was an advantage I didn't use where I struggled up to 2016 to complete the operational level which I eventually failed.

I studied CIMA for 6 years (2012 to 2016), a major factor that impacted the relevant so-called "depression" of mine.

Then by 2017, I decided to shift to Chartered Accountancy (CA) at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka. (ICASL)

In 2016 after my internship at a Licensed Commercial Bank (LCB) - Sampath Bank PLC I joined one of the big four audit firms located in Sri Lanka as an Associate Trainee.

During my first year, I was able to complete my signing for articles from my firm to the executive level, Chartered Accountancy (CA).

Then I decided and thought of applying for membership in AATSL.

With effect to the new syllabus change from 2015, there is a requirement of completing a two (02) day training focused on leadership skills.

Then I and my brother decided to attend this "People and Leadership Skills [PLS]" training program.

So we applied for the May 2017 batch which was to be held on 6th and 7th May 2017. My brother attended, but due to a personal reason, I couldn't attend that relevant batch.

After that, I emailed AATSL that I would like to extend my confirmation of participation in a different batch.

Therefore I received my confirmation in the August 2017 batch.

I was called to attend the 26th and 27th August 2017 program.

As per the requirement of the new syllabus introduced by AAT Sri Lanka with effect from July 2015, the People and Leadership Skills (PLS) module under the Training Capstone was introduced to build crucial 'work floor' competencies of learners, with the aim of making them fully fledged members of AAT. [1st Module]

The PLS module allows learners to reflect on their experimental training and learning (ETL), the 2nd module under the training capstone, whilst developing more efficient and effective people and leadership skills.

A passed finalist can apply for membership of AAT upon successful completion of the PLS workshop along with 1-year practical training experience. The PLS workshop is conducted by the AAT Business School as a 2 full-day training session.

It cost around 5,500/- per person.

Certification, following the successful completion of this 2-day programme, a 'certificate of participation' will be awarded, along with feedback and recommendation on their individual performance.

During these two days (02) the following modules are covered.

(01) Unit 01 - Social Skills for Accountants (15%)
(02) Unit 02 - Service Skills for Accountants (15%)
(03) Unit 03 - Presentation skills for Accountants (20%)

Unit 01 and 02 were taught to me by Mr. Deshapriya Fernando whose a business management consultant and lecturer.

Unit 03 was taught to us by Ms. Bernadine Jayasinghe. She's a news anchor/news presenter at MTV/MBC Channels (Pvt) Ltd./Capital Maharaja Ltd. and also an entrepreneur, international winning speaker, corporate trainer, and writer.

During the 1st day of the PLS, the in-house training was conducted with group activities and visual aids, creating a simulated environment. (26th, August 2017)

It started at 08.30 A.M. and finished at 05.00 P.M.

The relevant training was held at AAT Centre, Colombo 05.

All the required study materials were provided by AATSL.

In the next day Unit, 04 and 05 was held at an outbound training. (27th, August 2017)



(04) Unit 04 - Team working Skills for Accountants (25%)
(05) Unit 05 - Leadership Skills for Accountants (25%)


It was held in Dampe Village - Piliyandala.

Mr. Sanesh Fernando and his assistant Mr. Koshitha conducted the relevant sessions.

Mr. Sanesh is a trainer/instructor in Leadership and team building.

Transport was provided from the AAT center at 06.45 AM and back at AATSL.



We were told to bring "Sports Wear" by the AAT.

It was filled with good team building and leadership development training with equal mental and physical exercises.



We arrived at AAT around 5.30 PM.

After that, the 2-day PLS workshop concluded.

We were required to submit the membership forms in the next week. (September, First week 2017)

After around 2 months, (October 2017) my mother collected the certificate of participation of PLS workshop from AAT Centre, Colombo.

Then on we were told to submit for AAT membership during the same month (October 2017) in order to participate in this year's convocation.

Due to my personal and professional life was a bit busy during the period, my mother (Mrs. Harshani Polwatte) attended to these matters. She submitted me and my brother's forms filled and the relevant membership payments made during the relevant period. And I am forever grateful for that.

After the submission of the relevant membership documents, I was telephoned and told that interview will be held on 2017 October 21st.

3 people attended the interview.

(01) AATSL membership division
(02) Interview for the membership
(03) A board member of AATSL

On 2nd of November, 2017 I received a letter from AAT center, Colombo with regards to my orientation seminar for new members of AAT Sri Lanka - 2017.

This was held on Saturday, 25th November 2017 from 12.45 PM to 4.30 PM at the Prof. Lakshman R Watawala Auditorium, AAT Centre, Colombo 05.




The invitations for the convocation and other required material were given during the same moment.

25th Annual Convocation of AAT Sri Lanka - 2017 was held on 27th Monday of November.

It was at the main assembly hall of BMICH, Colombo-07.

Due to my load of work at my workplace KPMG: Sri Lanka I had to skip the convocation. But my brother Mr. Avantha Polwatte participated.

The road so far to the membership of AAT was a one decade-long struggle of education and personal sacrifices. And it was worth it.

From 2008 to 2018 I have had bittersweet memories to attain this simple qualification.

It was a collective effort of my family to make me and my elder brother successful accountants and grow as great professionals.

I hope these will be wonderful memories in my future to come.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment